The PowerPlant was built in 1907 and stands on 6000 piles over the Hudson River with unparalleled views of the New York City skyline and the Palisades. It is one of the only remaining power plants constructed for the electrification of the Grand Central Railroad and has been abandoned since the 1970s. In 2013, Lela Goren bought the Yonkers Power Plant, ending 75 years of disuse and neglect. Today, a new chapter is being written.
The PowerPlant is composed of three interconnected buildings. The Rotary Building will provide offices, micro kitchens, meeting lounges and double-height gathering space in the historic rotary room. The Turbine Hall becomes an event space hosting exhibitions, conferences and performances. The Smokestack provides cafe, exhibition, meeting and office spaces within the structure that once stored and burned coal.
Revitalized as The PowerPlant, this historic building will be reimagined as a co-working, incubator, maker space, and grand convening space, for events, workshops, public art and gatherings that engage entrepreneurs, innovators, scientists, artists, youth and governments engaged with climate solutions.
Bjarke Ingels, BIG Architects
The Glenwood Power Plant (also known as the Yonkers Power Plant) in Yonkers, built between 1904 and 1906, is one of two power stations constructed for the electrification of the New York Central Railroad from Grand Central Terminal to the northern suburbs of New York City. As an integral part of the monumental civic vision of Grand Central Terminal—which included electrification of the line, construction of the new terminal building, the re-establishment of Park Avenue and the cross streets by depressing the tracks below street level, and the development of an entire district of new real estate—the Glenwood Power Plant is of significant historical value.
The Power Station was designed by the architecture firm of Charles Reed & Alan Stem who, in association with the firm Warren & Wetmore, also designed Grand Central Terminal. Specialists in the design of railroad buildings, Reed & Stem designed both the Glenwood and the Port Morris Power Stations, the associated substations and various local stations on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad lines.
The Glenwood Power Plant is an outstanding example of early 20th-century engineering and is the last remaining and intact power station constructed for the electrification of the Grand Central railroad. Its monumental scale and Romanesque-Revival style architecture are fine examples of the industrial architecture of the period. The New York Central Railroad owned and operated the power station between 1907-1936, when it served the sole function of powering the railroad.